The Institute of World Politics is one of the few graduate schools that offers an internship program designed specifically to prepare you for a career in national security, intelligence, and international affairs. Interns conduct research with IWP scholar-practitioners and are exposed to career opportunities in these fields. Based in the heart of Washington, D.C., interns gain the advantage of professional and social networking with other interns from D.C. think tanks and academic institutions, in addition to IWP’s faculty.
The application deadline for Fall 2024 is June 10, 2024. As there are a limited number of spots available, it is strongly advised that applications are submitted well before the deadline.
Internship Program Overview:
1) Conduct research for an IWP faculty member on topics related to national security and international affairs.
2) Take up to 8 credits of IWP courses free of charge – a $10,400 value. Those who complete all course work and receive a minimum of a B+ will receive reserve credit at IWP when they enroll in IWP following the internship. This offer only applies to courses taken during the time of the internship.
3) Private tours of the Pentagon, the Department of Justice, the Capitol Building, and others, led by IWP alumni who work for these organizations. Tours vary per semester.
4) Access to all IWP guest lectures and events, including informational career sessions by organizations that may include the State Department, CIA, FBI, DIA, Department of Energy, National Counter Terrorism Center, USAID, or others.
5) Administrative work supporting a department within IWP which provides additional learning experiences within the national security, intelligence, and international affairs sphere.